Tuesday 29 March 2011

FIFA 2010 World Cup. How do I experience it?

FIFA 2010 World Cup. How do I experience it?

Last night we went to Sandton Square in Johannesburg to really experience the world cup. What an amazing experience. The square was packed with soccer madness. People were blowing vuvuzelas and waving flags. They were all singing in different languages. The Paraguay people had their funny hats on and everywhere there were Dutch people adorned in their orange colors. One guy had a suite on that was a size or two too small in orange with an aorange hat. It was so festive! We decided to have a bite to eat at one of the steakhouses. The prices were hiked up by around 40-60%. We ended up paying just over R400 for 2 plates of food. Ouch! This did not really bother me. I could have moved away from there and eat anywhere else. But I chose to eat there to drink in this atmosphere. We looked like the only Bafana Bafana supporters. There were people from every corner of the globe.

While we waited for our table we spoke to USA people who came here for the World Cup and people from England. They all love it here. When seated we had Brazilians to the one side and Argentineans on the other side. Everybody was animated and load and most were just talking soccer. I never knew the extent of this game. The table next to us stood up for a photo and posed with a guy who just walked in. He was immaculately groomed. He then went and sat at his own table. We were bursting with curiosity and asked them who he was. He turned out to be a famous ex-goalkeeper of Italy who just came for the soccer.

So what does this World Cup mean to us. It gives me pride in my nation. We belong to Africa. My forebears came here in the early 1800 and settled this land. I love South Africa. I want to add value to people that live here. The tourist will come and go but we will still be here. Did we hike up our prices? No we did not. Did I gear myself to sell stuff to the tourist? Not really. We are just off the major tourist route. Hartbeespoort does not host any team and we are more than 50 km away from the nearest stadium. Have I seen an increase in business? Not yet. Should I have marketed myself to the tourist more aggressively? Maybe

My ideas went like this. People come here to watch soccer and these people will do their shopping around the areas where they live and where they go to watch their soccer. My neighbor who runs a guest house do not have any bookings for the World Cup yet. The people who got it right and who has their shops in the right places will surely make money.

However I can tell you that my new stock has arrived and we are working in overdrive to list new items everyday. I unpacked 32 new amethyst geodes in the shop and can say that one is going to Italy. Well there is a world cup sale.

It is going to depend on you how you experience this World Cup. Go to Sandton or any other soccer centre, experience the vibe. It is here!



In life, all experiences will either make you bitter or make you better. Let us become a better nation through participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment