Friday 5 January 2024

Mauritius and Art. Realities of earning a living with art. #art #artist ...

In this reflective video, I share my journey as an artist in Mauritius, acknowledging the tactical decisions that led to failure to sell my paintings at my exhibitions. The challenges began with the difficulty of securing suitable exhibition spaces.

Focusing on fine art paintings rather than the commercially successful Dodo range of drawings may have contributed to the lack of commercial success in my exhibitions. The main setback was the limited attendance at these exhibitions, reinforcing the notion that a successful exhibition relies on attracting a significant audience for potential sales.

My choice of venues was influenced by the aesthetic appeal of the location and the quality of its visitors, guided by the success of a Mauritian artist who exhibited at the same venue. The video provides a visual representation of my artwork at the selected venue. Facebook comments on my failure to draw people make up the core of this video.

Ultimately, faced with the financial challenges of not generating income at these exhibitions, I've made the decision to temporarily leave the island. This video serves as a candid reflection on the lessons learned, the importance of strategic decisions in the art world, and the evolving nature of making a living with art after the covid pandemic. Please feel free to comment on the comments and please share my video to help others who want to make art a career in Mauritius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment